The mission of the Santa Fe Trail Association is to protect and preserve the Santa Fe Trail and to promote awareness of the historical legacy associated with it. The Santa Fe Trail Association’s purposes are exclusively charitable and educational within the meaning of Section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
3/26/16 Annual Membership Meeting of the Missouri River Outfitters Chapter of the Santa Fe Trail Association at Lou Austin’s Schumacher Station on 5912 E. Bannister Road. Chapter President Larry Short (now SFTA President) addresses the crowd of about 30 people. Missouri River Outfitters Annual Membership Meeting at Trailside Center, (99 th & Holmes) on April 30, 2017. The speaker was Craig Voorhees from Lawrence on the routes followed by Army units as they moved to and from Fort Leavenworth in the 1840s and also the 1846 route followed by Alexander Doniphan’s Army unit from Fort Leavenworth on the way to the Mexican War in the summer of 1846. After the 3/26/16 meeting, we walked over in the rain to the newly installed Powder Mill Bridge over I-435 adjacent to the Bannister Road bridge. It is the longest pedestrian bridge over an Interstate Highway on a National Historic trail in the nation. It was dedicated on June 9 as a part of the Partnership of the National Trails System annual Historic Trails Workshop held in Independence. Dedication of markers at Wieduwilt Park at 85th and Manchester, KCMO on October 4, 2014. Sponsored by Missouri River Outfitters Chapter of SFTA, it was attended by about 30 people. Speaking is Larry Short, MRO president. Dedicated was a Wieduwilt Park site sign, a wayside exhibit and a limestone post with a small info plate on it. The site has a very visible swale going right through it, which carried Santa Fe, Oregon and California Trail wagon traffic on the Independence Route. December 2, 2016 dedication of the new markers at Salem Park at Highway 24 and Blue Mills Road in Independence. Three upright kiosks display the history of the Santa Fe Trail which passes by the location. In addition, the site was completely redesigned and repaved. This was a joint project by Missouri River Outfitters Chapter, National Park Service and Jackson County Parks and Recreation.